I don’t know about you but the name Glowworm got me a little off until I personally saw the board; I’m just not into worms. However, Lava for a name is a lot better. Anyway, Swonder is a new decent brand that offers a very nice but limited line of inflatable standup paddle boards presented in 2 different sizes only.
Swonder is an immerging name in the water sports industry and the people behind it promise that they still have a lot more to offer in the future. Thus, we thought that their iSUPs are definitely worth checking out especially after knowing that all of their boards come in complete packages for reasonable prices.
Swonder iSUP Review – Features & Specs
- Non-slip soft deck
- Two (Nose/Central) carry handles
- Tie down system
- Rear-mounted D-ring for safety leash attachment
- Tri-fin setup
- Package includes:
- 1 x Inflatable stand up paddleboard
- 1 x 3 pieces aluminum alloy paddle
- 1 x GRI high-pressure hand pump
- 1 x GRI removable fin (no tool required)
- 1 x Travel backpack
- 1 x 10’ coil leash
- 1 x repair kit (bonus)
|Material||PVC & Drop-Stitch material|
|Number of D-rings||
|Recommended PSI||15 PSI|
|Carry handles||2 carry handles|
The Swonder iSUP comes in two sizes that differ in terms of length; one of them is 10.6 feet long while the other is 11.6 feet. Concerning the other dimensions, they’re both 32 inches wide and 6 inches thick.
These measurements are nothing near arbitrary; a 10.6 feet board is a great choice for entry and intermediate skill level. While the larger version is best suited for paddlers who are more experienced and that are up for some speed and maneuverability.
Width and thickness got nothing on them here; actually, a 32 inches wide board is your best chance to experience quality performance when it comes to balance and steadiness. That being said, I can assure you that there’s no way you’d go wrong with any of Swonder’s iSUP.
To make the board feel even better and more functional, the Swonder was granted a solid 6 inches for thickness and that by far is the best anyone can expect from an inflatable board.
After all of this being stated, we must admit that we got nothing on the Swonder but the fact that all aspects and dimensions are up to our expectations and quality measures.
Swonder knew that it’s not only looks that matter to make a good iSUP that’s why they decided to go the extra mile and choose nothing but quality material to build their board.
The Swonder iSUP has multiple layers to it and the first one is the drop stitch core that’s known for being both flexible and durable to take on high air pressure levels.
Next, there is the military grade PVC material that guarantees the toughness and rigidity a board needs to withstand natural and human circumstances.
Between these 2 layers, there are many others; a reinforcing band on the board’s sides, an airtight inner rail, a drop stitch base wall and a final coating for a sharp looking board.
Yet, The Swonder remains a light weight iSUP that could be easily transported and handled by all riders.
The Swonder iSUP is a very appealing board especially when you’re looking at it up close; the details are neat and well measured, while the build quality is everything you’d be looking for in a durable iSUP.
- The Swonder comes in 2 sizes as previously mentioned, and each size comes in 2 colors; Glowworm (bright yellow/blue) and Lava (bright orange/aqua).
- Both boards are featured with amazing EVA deck pads that cover most of their backs. This pad is super tough which adds greatly to the board’s stiffness as it also offers a great deal of traction for maximum control.
- The Swonder is also featured with a standard front bungee system that consists of 4 D-rings and a bungee cord where you can secure your cargo and personal items whenever needed.
- Moreover, and for ease of transportation; this board comes with 2 carry handles; a central one and another on its nose. Both work perfectly when moving the inflated board around.
- The navigation system is great on this one with 3 fins to ensure straight traction and boots stability level. The central fin is detachable like usual to make packing the deflated board safer and easier.
- And finally, there is one more D-ring on the board’s tail which is dedicated for ankle leash attachment.
Let’s put it like this; both sizes presented to us by the Swonder are excellent choices for all-round touring and any other water activity you might be considering and this is why.
The Swonder in an extremely stable board given its width (32 inches) and that makes it an outstanding choice for first-time paddlers who seek balance more than anything to start on their experience with stand up paddle boarding or for anyone who’s far more experienced and who’s up for some serious Yoga. However, the length difference here (10.6’/ 11.6’) is what changes the game.
Thus, if you’re a larger rider who’s in for extra fun and adventure; the larger version of the Swonder is your friend.
Other than that and regardless of the size you’re choosing, the Swonder is an excellent board for long distance touring, recreation, yoga and ever river riding. The tippy nose in cooperation with the navigation system and hull design result in a board that’s easy to steer and control.
This is where things get more interesting, both the Swonder Glowworm and Lava come in neat complete packages that include:
- A high-capacity backpack where you can fit the board and other accessories.
- A 3 piece aluminum paddle that you could easily adjust to fit your height.
- An ankle leash for more safety.
- And a dual pressure hand pump.
If anything at all, we can notice that the repair kit is missing which is something very common even with pioneering brands that make quality and expensive inflatable SUPs. Apart from that; you’re set to hit the water the moment you receive this package if necessary.
- The Swonder is a very appealing iSUP that comes in 2 sizes and 2 colors.
- It’s a super tough board with layers of quality material.
- The traction pad is thick, sharp and comfortable.
- It comes in a great neat package with a quality backpack.
- It’s super stable which makes it anyone best choice for different water activities.
- Nothing that we can think of at the moment.